Thanks to being an English major and an MFA student in one of Pittsburgh’s best schools for creative writers, I have had the opportunity to meet many wonderful poets and authors! Here is a list of my favorite, most inspirational ones.
- Gerald Stern: Stern was one of the first well-known poets I met, back as an English major at good ole Penn State Altoona. I now live in the neighborhood of Pittsburgh where Stern called his home. 🙂
- Mark Doty: Doty is just one of the most brilliant poets writing today, hands down. I met him when he held a workshop and reading at Chatham.
- Katherine Paterson: I met Paterson, author of one of my favorite books as a child (Bridge to Terabithia) when she came to Pittsburgh for a special reading at the library a couple of years ago. I even got her autograph as I stammered about how meeting her was a dream come true!
- Naomi Shihab Nye: She is both a poet and a children’s writer, so of course I jumped at the chance to take a workshop with her at Chatham. She is also one of the most down-to-earth, funny and encouraging writers I have ever met.
- Marc Brown: Brown is the author of the Arthur the Aardvark books. Although I didn’t get to actually meet him, I did get to take a limo to see him read
Who would I love to meet? Former U.S. Poet Laureate Ted Kooser has always been on top of that list. I almost got to see him read once, but he had fell ill and had to cancel his appearance. I was so bummed! I would also love to meet my childhood idol, Ann M. Martin.